Hints and Suggestions for Searching the Family Tree at Geni
Your best bet is to search using as much information as you have with the exception of birth and death locations. The search capability does not always use the locations properly. If you get too few responses this way, first remove the mother's last name. Her name is the one most likely to be entered incorrectly in a family tree. If you still get too few responses, omit the spouse's name and use only the father's name with the ancestor's name.
Ways to Search the Geni Family Tree
- The Best Way to Search Geni Family Tree: Go to Your Active Family Tree Searches on this website for easier searching. At Your Active Family Tree Searches page, you need only to enter your ancestor data once to search all the websites. Your Active Family Tree Searches is a free service that creates the optimal searches for your ancestor data to help with researching your genealogy.
- Manually search the Geni family tree yourself. This will open a new window so you can refer back to the search hints and suggestions above as well as the review below.
Review of the Geni Family Tree
Updated on July 1, 2021
Highlights: Geni provides a universal, shared family tree. (See my concern about such universal family trees.) You can search for free. Viewing full profiles of people in the family tree requires a free registration. Adding a family member to the tree, however, requires a membership. The website does offer a free-trial option. You may search it directly or through MyHeritage and save records directly from Geni into your MyHeritage family tree.
For more features, see the table below.
See the definition of terms for any questions on the meaning of the entries in the table below.
|x||free family tree searches|
|paid family tree searches|
|free viewing of pedigrees|
|x||paid viewing of pedigrees|
|free downloads of pedigrees|
|paid downloads of pedigrees|
|*||any supporting documentation shown with the family tree||* Sources might be referenced, but there is no direct viewing of documentation.|
|free viewing of supporting documentation|
|paid viewing of supporting documentation|
|x||contact information for family tree submitter|
|ability to share editing of your family tree with others|
|ability to see all the trees or names submitted by a researcher|
|ability to restrict searches to updates since a specific time|
|x||searches with name of spouse||With paid membership.|
|x||searches with names of parents||With paid membership.|
|x||searches with names of children|
|x||searches by place of birth||With paid membership.|
|searches by place of marriage|
|x||searches by place of death||With paid membership.|
|x||searches by country||With paid membership.|
|x||searches by state, province, or political subdivision||With paid membership.|
|x||searches by date of birth||With paid membership.|
|searches by date of marriage|
|x||searches by date of death|
|x||ability to specify date ranges for searching|
|x||searches by exact spelling of names|
|x||searches by similar sounding spellings of names|
|x||uploading of your family tree|
|x||interactive editing of the online version of your family tree|
|x||ability to delete the online version of your family tree|
|x||ability to keep your family tree private, should you prefer that|
|automatic suggestions for matches in other family trees or documents based on your family tree|
|Your DNA results can be attached to your family tree|
Geni Family Tre Search Hints Context
Other Family Tree Search Hints
- Ancestry.com Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- Computerized Ancestor Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- FamilySearch Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- FamilyTreeNow.com Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- GeneaNet Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- MyHeritage Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- WeRelate Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- WikiTree Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
- WorldConnect Search Hints, Suggestions, and Review
Douglas K Barry
Barry & Associates, Inc.